Wetherby Gasworks was opened in 1852 on what is now Gashouse Lane. It had two gasholders and closed in the late 1970s.
Union hotel 1834-1848 then private house. Yorkshire Hussar 1857-1877 then Hugh Hall and son, ironmongers 1877-1967. Contents of shop aredisplayed in castle Museum York. Contrary to local tradition there were no barracks at Micklethwaite. As the Yorkshire Hussars were a volunteer force who operated from home they did not require barracks.
Note the short section of cobbled street. There is another small area of cobbles, diagonally opposite Gashouse Lane, at the entrance to the Red Lion yard.
Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.