Perhaps named after 18th century Scottish drovers who used it as a watering place, or after Scottish raiders who destroyed Wetherby in 1318.
This building once housed Mrs Emily Wardman’s Museum, The Wardman family have given many years of public service to the town.
Until 1824 this lane went straight ahead and, in earlier times, most likely continued down to the river. The photograph below shows how the three storey building, which bears the plaque, was added to an earlier two storey one and extended the building line into the Market Square.
Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.