The Brunswick

Known then as the Devonshire Arms this building was described as a “Substantial new stone house” in the 1824 sale of Wetherby.

It provided an assembly room. Pens for sheep and pigs where erected in Victoria Street on market days and it has the only remaining stable yard.

Built some time between 1811 and 1824 this building is typical of the style advocated in the Duke of Devonshire’s plan as prepared by the York architect Peter Atkinson.