There has been a Water Mill at Wetherby since before 1221 where corn and rape were ground. Later is was a Saw Mill until it burnt down in 1944. The Salmon Steps opposite were built in 1871 at a cost of £30. The remains of earlier bridges across the river can be seen below the arches
The old medieval bridge had four arches and these were eventually extended to six. Not only was the bridge damaged by severe floods but thousands of Scottish cattle going south and coal carts going north in the late 1700’s added to the destruction. It is hard to believe that until the first by-pass of 1959 was built this bridge was part of the A1 carrying all the traffic on the Great North Road.
Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.