For 15 years Wetherby was home to a castle built without the consent of the King or Parliament. It was constructed in 1140 by the Percy family to guard the crossing by the River Wharfe, particularly against raids Scottish raiders, which were prevalent since most of England, north of Yorkshire was controlled by the Scots. However, in 1155 its demolition was ordered by King Henry II.
Eventually in 1238 the castle and mill passed to the Knights Templar, an order of wealthy soldier/monks. Later they were replaced by the Knights Hospitaler of St. John until the Dissolution in Henry VIII’s reign when it became royal property.During the Civil War remains of the castle were held by Parliamentary troops under the command of Sir Thomas Faifax who repelled an attack by Royallists from York.
Only its foundations remain, very little of which comes above ground level, in 2005 and 2006 the three dwellings occupying this site were demolished and replaced by flats, named ‘Castle Keep’ to reflect its history, and marked with a blue plaque commissioned by Wetherby Town Council and Wetherby Civic Society
Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.